If you visit pet stores or even other stores where you can purchase bird seeds for family pets, you should have noticed it includes some corn kernels in the food bag. This will showcase that they are the perfect food for your birds as a treat. It is a truth that most of the birds will love to eat Popcorn. The corn kernels are good for the bird’s beaks, but they also contain various nutritional benefits.
This could be the principal reasons to add this ingredient in the food bag. A few of them may prefer some boiled raisins for their birds to eat. You should have heard that the chickens will love to eat corn kernels. It could spread across the yard, and the birds will enjoy this treat and hearty meal. These statements will reveal that birds can also eat Popcorn.
Popcorn – Nutritional Benefits
Popcorn is one of the best nutritional foods that can be taken by both humans and birds. It is whole grain sourced food that includes plenty of fiber. They are low in sugar content and low calorie while using it as an air-popped. This high-fiber food will never contain any digestible carbohydrates. It is one of the highly beneficial mineral content foods with plenty of Iron. Find below the list of nutritional benefits of Popcorn for your reference:
Carbohydrate – The carbohydrate with a high level is found in the plain Popcorn, which is a high energy source for birds.
Iron – For hemoglobin production, Iron is one of the essential ingredients. It will assist the birds in balancing the oxygen within the body’s bloodstream. However, less consumption of Iron may lead to Anemia, and high consumption of Iron invite disease.
Calcium – For healthy bones formation, Calcium is another essential content in Popcorn. It will help the birds to maintain their healthier reproductive system, aids blood clotting, and promotes good health for the feather.
Fiber – Your bird’s digestive and food management system should be healthy by taking this high-fiber content food.
Have you ever wondered whether can birds eat popcorn?
Yes, This is a good idea we can feed popcorn to birds but we have to feed them in the right way, let’s see how to do it here. I would suggest you feed them in the form of popcorn balls so it’s easier for the bird to chew and digest it well
Popcorn Balls – Preparation Methods
Find below the instructions on how to prepare Popcorn balls for your birds:
You can make 12 popcorn balls by using the following ingredients:
- Non-stick Cooking spray.
- Almond butter or unsalted peanut (80gm or four tablespoons)
- Honey (113gm or one-third cup)
- Dried cranberries (30gm or quarter cup)
- Bird Seeds (128gm or 1 cup)
- Vegetable Oil (33.3ml or two and a half tablespoon)
- Unpopped Popcorn kernels (56gm or quarter cup)
Stage 1 – Preparing a mixture
First, use the vegetable oil for popping the available unpopped popcorn kernels on your stovetop. The stovetop temperature should be adjusted to medium heat and add 33.3ml vegetable oil to the pot. Then carefully add the popcorn kernels and close with a lid. Within a few seconds, you will hear the popping sound. Once it is done, remove the pot and uncover the lid.
- This popped Popcorn can easily fill up to a maximum of 8 cups.
- Never add butter, salt, or other toppings.
- Take a big bowl that is enough to fit the entire ingredients. Add the dried cranberries (30gm), and bird sees (128gm or 1 cup) to the bowl. Now, stir the combination of dried cranberries, birdseed, and Popcorn using a wooden spoon.
- The pot would still be warm and be careful while mixing the combination.
- It is advisable to use only the specific bird seeds for your birds. For example, the wild birds should be fed only with wild birdseed. If not, you can also use the species-specific type for better results.
- It will also work well with blueberries, cherries, and dried apricots.Take a small saucepan and add the honey (113gm) to it. The temperature setting can be adjusted to the low or medium heat and use the wooden spoon to stir the honey. Maintain the heat until it is thinned. Now, add the almond butter or unsalted peanut (80gm) directly to the honey-filled saucepan. You mix the honey and almond butter using the wooden space and remove from heat once it is mixed well.
- Most of the birds will prefer to eat almond butter or unsalted peanut.
It is advisable to use unsalted peanuts as birds will not able to digest the salt. Too much salt will be toxic.
Now, you need to mix the entire ingredients altogether. Transfer the almond butter & honey mixture with dried cranberries, birdseed, and Popcorn on a big bowl. You can give the even coating for the Popcorn with these ingredients by using the wooden spoon.
You might also be interested to read: When Can Kids Eat Popcorn?
Preparing the Popcorn Balls
- You need to keep the bowl that includes the entire mixture aside for 10 minutes since the popcorn mixture could still be warm and make it cool before preparing the popcorn balls.
- After 10 minutes, you can check the popcorn mixture and touch to see whether it is still hot.
- Make use of the non-stick cooking spray and evenly spray the same on your hands. This will assist the ingredients not to stick with your hands while preparing balls and make the work much easier.
- Now, take some popcorn mixture in your hands and roll as a tennis ball spheres shape using your palms. Once it is done, you can place each ball on the tray or plate.
- It is not required to make it with perfect shape, but still, your birds will love to enjoy this treat.
- You can also utilize the popcorn baller (which is available on the online marketplace or nearby stores) to give a perfect shape to make your popcorn balls.
- Once it is done, take an airtight container for storing the prepared popcorn balls and use it for at least two to three days.
After preparing the popcorn balls, you can hang them up so that the birds can enjoy eating this hearty treat. Make use of the twine thread or yarn to wrap each ball and hang the same on the cage wire, perches, or branches. However, you need to ensure that the popcorn balls are perfectly secured or tight using the twine or yarn. Instead of everyday food, you can give your birds an occasional treat using these popcorn balls.