When you are relaxing on a couch with a bowl of popcorn and watching your favorite movie, you may suddenly swallow a popcorn kernel that may get stuck in your throat. You may begin to feel uncomfortable with a scratchy feeling as if a large lump is present in your throat. When a popcorn kernel is stuck in your throat it is truly irritating and an uncomfortable feeling is what you have to bear. In this article, we will see how to get popcorn kernel out of your throat. By following a few simple steps, you can remove the popcorn kernel out from your throat.
How to get rid of popcorn kernel stuck in the throat
Here are a few things that you can do to remove the popcorn kernel out from your throat.
- Begin with drinking plenty of water to flush it away. If you still feel the popcorn kernel is stuck in your throat, you can try some soda pop or ginger ale as the fizzing action present in it enables you to wash away the piece of popcorn that is stuck in your throat.
- If the fluids don’t do their job, it is time to eat something like a piece of fluffy bread, banana, or a ball of sticky rice as these food items can grab any foreign particles and enables to slide down the food that is stuck on your throat.
- Another method is to eat a piece of tortilla without chewing it. Just swallowing it down as a large price of tortilla contains friction that can help in sliding the popcorn kernel from your throat.
- Finally, if any of the above methods do not work, you must visit the nearest clinic or an emergency medical care as the popcorn that is stuck in your throat left unattended can cause certain problems like breathing difficulty, swelling, infection in your throat. Do not take it lightly thinking that it will find its way out, Do the needful if the home remedies don’t work.
When to visit a doctor for emergency medical care
Every year, there are thousands of people who die as a result of choking. This is a common problem in small kids and elderly adults. When a foreign food particle gets stuck in your throat, choking can happen thereby blocking the flow of the air. When a person gets chocked, they may have to face certain problems like
- Unable to talk
- Some kind of squeaky noise when breathing
- Difficulty to breathe
- Turn bluish or pale
- Uncontrolled cough
- Become unconscious
Choking can become life-threatening if the above-mentioned symptoms are present in a person. It is time to visit your doctor or seek emergency medical care to save a life. Hope this article has helped to know the first aid for removing a popcorn kernel out of your throat and when to seek medical emergency services.
You might also be interested to read these articles: